Our brains are divided into the left and right cortex. The left side is dedicated to tasks involving order, logic, words, lists, numbers and analysis, the right side deals with rhythm, colour, imagination and daydreaming. If we want to improve memory, learning and thinking skills, we will have to use the whole brain.
Tony Buzan, through his years of research in learning and creativity, has developed the most brain-friendly, natural and enjoyable technique – the Mind Map® which uses the whole brain.
What is a Mind Map®?
A Mind Map® is a powerful thinking tool that reflects externally what goes on inside the human brain. This powerful tool provides a universal key to unlock the potential of the brain. It harnesses the full range of cortical skills – word, image, number, logic, rhythm, colour and spatial awareness – in a single, uniquely powerful manner. In so doing, it gives you the freedom to roam the infinite expanses of your brain.
Mind Maps® act as the ‘Swiss Army Knife of the brain, allowing you to improve and accelerate your learning and thinking skills.
The Mind Map® can be applied to every aspect of life where improved learning and clearer thinking will enhance human performance. Originated in 1970 by Tony Buzan, Mind Maps® are now used by millions of people around the world – from the very young to the elderly.
Similar to a road map, a Mind Map® will:
- Give you an overview of a large subject or area
- Enable you to plan routes or make choices and let you know where you are going and where you have been
- Gather and hold large amounts of data
- Encourage solution finding by seeing new creative pathways
- Enable you to be extremely efficient
- Be enjoyable to look at, read, muse over and remember
- Attract and hold the attention of the eye or brain
Mind Maps® and Radiant Thinking® are registered trademarks of the Buzan Organisation.